Vassfaret is a valley of legends and shimmering lakes. Its cultural landscape is packed with exciting destinations seasoned with original stories. Vassfaret is an area for which DNT Ringerike has a deep affection. It is home to three of our stunning cabins; Storekrakkoia (from 1959), Vassfarkoia (from 2007), and Fønhuskoia (from 2013). The trail is split into seven sections. It starts in Hønefoss and ends at Fønhuskoia, and you can use our welcoming cabins for overnight stays along the way. Please see information at the bottom of the page.
A central starting point is Søndre Torv in Hønefoss, just by the bus station. Here you will also find a large map and more information on Vassfarstien.
When you start at Søndre Torv, there are several options for how to organise your trip. The route is great as a long trip, but can also be split into several shorter sections. DNT Ringerike opened Vassfarstien in 2018 to mark the association’s 125th anniversary. The opening of the trail also underpinned the slogan “Skauleis til fjells” – to walk through the forest on your way to the mountain.
More information on the various sections
Show consideration during your visit, and follow these basic guidelines:
• Adhere to the code of conduct for public right of access
• Park at designated car parks and campsites
• Take your litter home or use the bins provided
• Remember the rules for keeping dogs on a lead; respect campfire bans and restrictions, and use designated sites only
• Try to use local shops along the route
• Drive nicely, but not too nicely – keep up with the traffic
• Last, but not least; ENJOY your trip!