Cycle trip to Nes & Helgøya, in the midle of lake Mjøsa
This 86 km circuit can be cycled in one day. However, if you want to take in all the sights along the way, you should plan for an overnight stay halfway through. The route is varied and leads through the undulating and lush cultural landscape that is so characteristic of the Mjøsa region. Along the way you cycle past cultural monuments, farm shops and other points of interest. At www.midtimjosa.no you will find a full overview of all experiences. On the website www.mjossykling.no you will find maps, cycling information and route descriptions.
The cycle route can be cycled starting in Brumunddal and Moelv.
- See the route description with starting point in Brumunddal (Google Maps)
- See the route description with starting point in Moelv (Google Maps)
Helgøya is Norway's largest freshwater island. If you cycle around Helgøya, you should do so against the clock. This way you have the best views all the way. A guided tour of the historic garden at Hovelsrud farm south of Helgøya is a 'must'! Exciting non-commercial sights are limestone kilns on the east side of the island, Biestien in the middle of the island and Skredderstustien on the north side. You can take a coffee break or lunch break at Skafferiet and Øya Maritim on Helgøya or in Tingnes.
On the Nes peninsula, the self-service farm shop at Kvarstad gård is a natural stop, as is the viewpoint from the Gravhaugen along Retterstadvegen near Stavsjø.
• Degree of difficulty: Medium-demanding (due to many uphill slopes)
• Length: Approximately 86 km (70 km if only T/R Tingnes)
• Surface: Asphalt 80% / gravel roads 20%
- Hoel farm: A stately large farm with a view of Mjøsa and the history in the walls, on the Nes peninsula, about 3 km from Tingnes.
- Hønsehuset: A self-catering holiday home on Helgøya, near the climbing park.
- Sommerfjøset: A completely unique overnight stay on Helgøya, right down by Mjøsa.
The cycle path can lead over farmyards. Most of the farms are in operation and this means that you can meet tractors and other working machines. Remember that these are often private roads, we ask you to show understanding and consideration for people, animals and machines along the route.
- length in km - 86 km
- 5 hours
Nature and terrain
- May - September