In the past, more distillery pipes than church spiers could be seen in the Mjøsa region. The distilleries were often located right by the water because all goods where transported over the water. With the potatoes that were grown in the fertile soil by Lake Mjøsa, aquavit was produced. Atlungstad distillery was one of the largest in Norway in the latter half of the 19th century.
On this 3-day Aquavit tour for groups, you will get to know the history and tastes of aquavit. You travel between the deep forests by Glomma and the rolling cultural landscape by Lake Mjøsa, and in both places aquavit is central to both the activities and the food experiences.
• Arrival Scandic Elgstua – a certified aquavit hotel.
• 19:00: 3-course evening meal – with aquavit-based dishes and selected aquavits.
• Leave plenty of time for breakfast – Scandic Elgstua’s has been voted Norway’s best.
• 10:30: Depart for visit to the Glomdal Museum. Guided tour of the herb garden and “Gammeldoktoren” – a unique exhibition in a Nordic context, looking at the significance of herbs and liquor in medicine.
• 12:00: Our journey continues to the distillery Atlungstad Brenneri, and we enjoy a “Munch” along the way. As we stop for a guided tour of the Munch Centre at Edvard Munch’s birthplace, Løten, we get to sample the Munch aquavit. It is then time to enjoy the picnic we have brought along.
• 15:30: At Atlungstad Brenneri, we are thoroughly inducted into the joys of aquavit. After a brief guided tour, we learn about sensory characteristics such as aroma, appearance and taste. We then find out how to make our own aquavit, and end our visit with a 3-course meal – accompanied by aquavit, of course. Elverum Turbuss (coach) back to Elverum.
• 11:00: After check-out, we return to the aquavit village Løten.
• 11:30: The weekend finale is a visit to Løiten Brænderi and the theatre play “En Akevisitt”, Norway's most performed theatre production, boasting an impressive 6300+ performances. This vibrant one-man show takes you on a journey through the history of aquavit and the distillery.
Group size: 10-25 people